There are different types of housings and adhesives available for peristomal attachment. The adhesives that are used for the Provox HME (FlexiDerm, Regular, OptiDerm) can be used for FreeHands as well. For patients needing extra support in the region around the stoma or with a deep stoma it is advised to use the more solid Provox FreeHands XtraBase adhesive. Especially in patients with a deep stoma one needs to be aware of the fact that when using a FlexiDerm adhesive, it should be in contact with the skin otherwise air might pass through the adhesive. In addition to the adhesive, silicone might be used in order to strengthen the seal. Preparation of the skin is an important factor in achieving a good seal. Below the steps that should be taken in order to achieve a good seal are listed:
- If necessary remove glue from the skin with a remover pad
- Clean skin with water and soap and make sure it is oil-free and dry
- Apply Skin Prep in order to protect the skin
- Apply a thin layer of silicone glue on the skin (and the adhesive) around the stoma and let dry for 3 to 4(or even 10) minutes
- Put the adhesive on the skin, as close to the stoma as possible, make sure it contacts the skin everywhere and that there are no air bubbles in between the adhesive and the skin. Line the lower end of the housing up with the lower border of the stoma if possible, in order to reduce the amount of mucous that might enter between the adhesive and the skin.
- Let the adhesive base plate dry (or only talk with a regular HME) for the first 30 minutes and then start using the FreeHands automatic speaking valve.